Thanksgiving will look differently this year. Typically in November, families and friends gather to feast, fellowship, and share their thankful lists. With the COVID pandemic still a priority, our social gatherings are put on pause, but it doesn’t have an effect on our appreciation. We can and still will express gratitude.
Gratitude is defined as the quality of being thankful, and the readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness. It’s a step above thankfulness in its intention and its benefits.
Research studies on expressing gratitude have shown support for an association with improved wellbeing, mood, sleep, connection to others, and outlook on life, with a decrease in stress and materialism. Gratitude is a pillar within holistic living and is an action we believe in doing at least once a day.
Expressing gratitude may look different for each person, but its effects are universally beneficial. Some ways you can express gratitude include:
- Keep a gratitude journal: write down 3 things you are grateful for daily
- Acts of kindness: do a gesture to help someone else, without anticipating a response (paying for the meal of the person behind you in the drive-thru, holding the door for someone)
- Write a thank you note: send it someone you appreciate, or read it to them
- Thank someone mentally: and experience the positive emotions from expressing gratitude
- Pray: spend time each day in pray and cultivate gratitude for how the Creator has blessed you
- Meditate: be in the present moment and focus on what you currently grateful for
As a business, it is vital for us to spend time daily in gratitude to keep us grounded in meeting our mission. Our founders are adamant that we appreciate the wins and not view the losses as opportunities to grow.
We asked EKB founder, Kristin, to share 5 things she’s grateful for this year. Here’s what she said!
- I’m grateful for my family: God first, my unit, and my external family. They all help keep me grounded.
- Secondly, I love the EKB fam! Our customers are what keep this business going. I’m forever grateful they choose Earth-Kissed Beauty to be a part of their skincare ritual. Since our website relaunch in February, we have had over 100 new customers from all around the United States! And I look forward to expanding our reach even further.
- I have gratitude for the opportunity to do what I love. Entrepreneurship is hard, but I love the ability to walk in my purpose and share holistic health and resources to the public.
- Fall is my favorite season! The cooler temperatures, the fashion, the colorful leaves, and the warm drinks make me happy.
- Lastly, I’m thankful for 2020 (don’t roll your eyes!). I’m grateful for this year. It has allowed me and so many others to see things more clearly: the issues, what’s going well, where the struggle is, who’s making a positive difference. This year has also given me the ability to be still and reflect on what and who truly matters.
In the spirit of gratitude, we are thankful that you took time to read this blog post and want to keep the conversation going. We would love to hear from you! Tell us what are you grateful for and how you express your gratitude.